Saturday, November 22, 2008

Day 6: Another full SACI day!

What was supposed to be a SACI Consortium business meeting ended up being an unproductive discussion about what it would take to add a design program. Then the area heads came in and talked about the courses they offer and their philosophies of art and teaching. It was long. The chairs were uncomfortable. Otherwise, it was spectacular!

A highlight was seeing the facility that SACI has recently purchased. The new building will replace the Graduate School studios and an off-site facility for craft courses; however, the main SACI building, a palace(?) honoring Galileo, will remain the main SACI administration building. The new facility will allow each of the studios to have more space, something that rarely happens in the U.S. Many art programs are shoved into spaces that obviously weren't planned for them (like a kiln in the library), with inadequate resources and air filtration. It is difficult to make progress in situations like that, much less be able to compete with students from institutions that provide the support necessary for their majors to thrive. I hope it doesn't offend Scott or other faculty to say that at this conferece I felt like a red-headed stepchild in a room filled with beauty contestant winners. Wanting so desperately for our students to be able to COMPETE for the Consortium scholarship and knowing that won't happen anytime soon. Ok, off my soapbox.

We ate lunch at Osteria _____, which had a well in the middle of the restaurant. With one glance, I was glad that I was only drinking bottled water. :) I actually think it was more for looks than for use. We had several new dishes that hadn't been served before. Very nice.

Over the past day or so, I've been feeling dizzy. The only thing we can figure is that the incredible influx of carbs is causing my sugar levels to spike and then crash, causing some light-headedness. Or perhaps a little bit of dehydration? Or both? Whatever it is, I'm hoping it will pass once I get back to the States and my normal routine.

I made the walk after lunch to the Medici special exhibit on the science of Galileo. This is the year of Galileo in Florence, hence the exhibit. It was one of the few thigns on the SACI conference schedule, other than the informational meetings and tours, that I was looking forward to. Unfortunately, I made it less than 20 minutes before I had to excuse myself and walk back to the hotel. I woke up 4 hours later with a splitting headache and nothing to wash down the Aleve I had in my bag. Hmmm... I could use tapwater... Flashback to a story of GI disturbance from refilling a water bottle from the tap. Let me think about it. No. Instead, I walked to the market for a water (and a Coca). A couple of hours later, I was feeling better again.

Last day tomorrow...

No comments: